Recognition of Foreign Divorce

The foreign divorce decree may be issued through judicial or administrative proceedings (e.g., approved by mayor), so long as the divorce decree was secured in accordance with the laws and procedures in that jurisdiction. For instance, one case involved a divorce by agreement which becomes effective by notification, orally or in a document signed by both parties and two or more witnesses of full age, in accordance with the provisions of Family Registration Law of Japan.  Recognition of Foreign Divorce