This is the most commonly found disease in dogs. The skin disease causes irritation to the dog and in some cases it makes the dog uncomfortable. The skin is made up of two layers the Epidermis which is the uppermost layer covering the body and the Dermis that provides cover to the body against pain and stress also, the blood vessels in dermis are the source of nutrition for the skin. It is easy to spot a skin disease in dogs as a healthy skin is clean and odorless. The skin diseases are basically divided into 5 types namely- fungal, bacterial, allergic, parasitical, and hormonal or heriditary. Auto-immune and immune-mediated are also recognised as types of diseases. Checkout Banixx - hot spot spray for dogs for more info.
Symptoms/ Signs of Skin disease in dogs-
The signs exhibited by the dog differ from the type of infection.
1) Bacterial disease causes the skin to itch a lot and makes it appear red in color. In the later stage it makes the skin dry and also results into hair loss. These signs can be commonly located on the chin and the trunk of the dog.
2) Fungal disease is noticed on the dogs head and legs and is easily identified because of its circular pattern on the skin which causes hair loss.
3) Other symptoms include-skin rash and black crusty skin(alopecia), scratching and hot spots, lumps on the skin, dandruff and skin odor, toe nails break off, There are food allergies, foot problems and shedding of the fur.
Treatment/ Vaccination for skin Disease
1) The treatment depends upon the type of infection the dog has and accordingly anti-biotic treatment will be prescribed.
2) Also coneflower and marigold keep the inflammation in control. Other things like aloe and lemon grass oil are anti-fungal therapies.
3) The following can be prescribed by the vet-Diet of yeast and garlic to avoid the fleas. Bath with cool oatmeal for curing itchy skin. Combination of tea, aspirin and rubbing alcohol for hot spots. Use of cortisone spray and cream.